Friday, February 26, 2016

Mission Recap

The last time I posted was 2011. 
Lets see what has happened since then...
Mum and I the day before I entered the MTC (Credit to Shine Photography for this beautiful photo)
I had the opportunity to serve a mission for the Lord and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, in the Great Kentucky Louisville Mission (English speaking). I served from June 22, 2011- Jan 2, 2013 and in beautiful areas: Berea, KY, Charlestown and Salem, IN and finished my time in Paris, KY
My MTC companion, Sister Ash, and I pointing to our mission
Let me write for a moment about the Woodburys, I met the Woodburys in the MTC- I was in the MTC during a very busy time, half of it was closed off for the Mission Presidents and  their Wives who were also being trained. I couldn't ask for better a better couple to serve in that position. 
I wrote in my journal about meeting them: "Met my Mission President and his Wife :] they are so super cute, so sweet! I'm excited to get to know them better! Sister Woodbury is a woman after my own heart, she loves music and was even in MoTab!" 
They are fantastic people, and I learned so much from them in their words and examples.  I wish I could fully express in words my love and gratitude for them. They both worked so hard, and loved us all so much.
left to right: Sister Woodbury, yours truly, Sister Jensen, and President Woodbury.
This is July 2012- you don't see it, but we are dying of heat/humidity. 
I was able to meet, teach and be taught by wonderful people that I found everywhere, in my mission and ward leaders, my fellow missionaries, members and people I met on the street.  At my first transfer meeting a departing Elder said "The only place you'll find success before work is in the dictionary." This stayed with me the duration of my mission. 
Sister's Wood, Noakes, Nelson, and Ford (The Sisters of the Kentuckiana District)
It's hard to talk about those 18 months and 3 weeks (I almost made it to 19 months!) in a few words. It was amazing, it was difficult. It was a growing experience, I learned that I can do hard things with the support of Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ and the Spirit. It changed me. I gained amazing sisters in my companions. I saw the best of humanity and a couple times the worst.
Sister Edgerton (My trainer), Me, Our beloved friend, Elder's Everett and Beagley
This day is one of my favorites. 
I'll be honest before my my mission call came, there was a thought in the back of my mind, that I never voiced that said, please nowhere hot and humid, and not the Bible Belt, If you don't know, Kentucky and Indiana are definitely part of the Bible Belt and the humidity is terrible in the summer and the winter! I was drenched in the summer and chilled to the bone in the winter. 
Elder's Ferguson, Banks, the Werner Family, Sister's Noakes, and Wood 
There is so much love I have for these amazing people beside me. 
The Bible belt made an interesting mission because so many of the people I met already had a belief and love for Jesus Christ. Because of that we taught and focused on the Restoration of Christ's Church.
Elders Baker and St. Martin in Front 
In Back: The trio of legend. Sisters Noakes, Ford,& Hunt with the fantastic Mullin's family. 
How do I describe the Mullins? I can't fully describe their open hearts and awesomeness. 
Also do you see that greenery? that's why you put up with the humidity. 
I loved teaching the message of the Restoration in the land where it happened in the language of the Restoration. I loved testifying of Jesus Christ, the Book of Mormon, Joseph Smith, and living Prophets. 
The Roberts Family and I. Brother Roberts had been attending and participating in the Church for YEARS, when he was ready to be baptized he and his ecstatic wife approached us. they both taught me so much, and they are dear to my heart.  
I was blessed to see my brothers and sisters come closer to Christ, and blessed with a love for them. Still, there were times of utter heartbreak. When families I loved would start avoiding us, when wards were divided and members in need of love and support were ignored, when people I loved would reject the gospel. I felt a sadness that I didn't expect. I cried often, something that didn't happen that much before my mission.
Brother Harney and Sister Jensen.
Words fail me when talking about these two amazing children of God. Moments with them were full of laughter, contentment, joy, and love.
I will be perfectly honest, it was hard, there were times I wasn't sure I could do it. There were times I didn't think my heart could take anymore. It was a combination of a love of God, the Spirit, and frankly a little bit of stubbornness that helped me make it through the first 6 months. 
At the end, I was physically, emotionally, and mentally exhausted. My body ached, my right knee hasn't been the same since, when I left my areas I felt as if I was carving off a piece of my heart and leaving it there. I have never felt that tired my entire life. I gave the mission everything I had. 
The Departing Missionaries with the Woodbury's 
It was a strange feeling at the last transfer meeting, I could sense the feeling of loss among the departing missionaries as we stared out at the crowd. It was an interesting mix of emotions, there was a desire to be there at the end but also a longing for the middle. I looked to the newly arrived missionaries and I felt a prick of jealousy amidst pity. I remember looking down at my name tag and thinking how strange life would be without it.


It was the hardest and best time of my life. I wouldn't trade that time for anything. 
I am eternally grateful for those who made it possible for me to serve. Thank you, and God Bless you. 

For more pictures --> Facebook Mission Album 

No comments: