Tuesday, March 8, 2016

International Women's Day

In honor of International Women's Day, I wanted to talk about some of the women who have influenced me. This is a limited list, because if I named them all, this entry would be even longer. 

First and foremost, my faithful, wonderful, compassionate, witty, intelligent and beautiful Mother. She took a child that wasn't biologically hers and loved and raised it as her own. Her faith and diligence inspire me. She's so creative, and she's always there for me. 
 
I don't have an actual photo of the next woman (I went to pintrest). My birth mother shared her body with me for 9 months and knew that I needed to be with another family, because that would be my best chance. I am so grateful for her strength. 

My Companions, only a few pictured here. Though technically Sister Nelson wasn't my companion, I spent over half my mission in the same district as her, we even have a baptism together! Rather hilariously we are both from Vegas and I knew her aunt before the mission. So really we basically were companions. My companions are so dear to my heart, and taught me so much. They are all exceptional women of courage and faith. They are my Sisters. 

There are so many women who I love and learned from that I met on the mission, here are a few, but not all. They are women of character and strength who have faced a lot and are wonderful. 

I can't do this without mentioning Sister Woodbury. Her support, example and teachings were and are such a blessing 
Woodbury's and I (My first day in Kentucky) 
My dear friends, I found this old random photo of us, and it cracks me up.
Deanna, Cynara, Nancy, and I 
Roommates
Britta, McKenzie, Britt, and I 
Emilie, Courtney, and I

Jess, Jessica, Heidi, Courtney and I


I am also inspired by the women of faith- Mother Eve, Mary, Elisabeth, Emma Smith, Mary Fielding Smith, and Eliza R. Snow to name a few.
Mary and Elisabeth
Emma Smith 
Carole M. Stephens

And in Popular Culture, I have a few women I appreciate
Rita Vrataski/Emily Blunt

Leslie Knope/Amy Poehler
Hermione Granger/Emma Watson 
Rita Vrataski is dear to my heart, because she's awesome, she's smart and a fighter . If you haven't seen Edge of Tomorrow, you should. I also so dearly love Emily Blunt the actress that portrays Rita, and so many other characters on screen, I've loved her since Devil Wears Prada. She's a talented actress, with perfect comedic timing (something that I appreciate in anyone) 
Leslie Knope is hilarious and passionate. I adore her, and Amy Poehler they are both wonderful. 
Hermione Granger, she's smart, loyal and takes a stand. How can you not love her? Emma Watson is a fantastic woman as well, her comments on gender equality are on point. 

I have one last picture to share
Jessica Day, New Girl
I think this is important, and something to note on International Women's Day. Be yourself, whether it's sporty, nerdy, girly, whatever! Own it, and love yourself. 

Thank you to the amazing Women in my life. 




No comments: