Monday, September 1, 2008

DB Bonanza Closing

my Deseret Book Store is closing.

The reasons being
1. The Lease is up
2. The Demographics of the Area no longer support a store.
If there suddenly is an explosion of LDS members living on the East side- a Deseret Book will open. So tell your friends!

Honestly I've worked in the store for Two years; it was 2 years on August 15. And Since then the store has been slowly dying. There are days where I go for almost three hours without a customer. And when someone does come in they buy an Ensign.

It really is the Best for the Store. I know it and I feel it. (That doesn't mean I'm not sad!)


The Purpose of Deseret Book is to make a profit and provide a return for the Church.

Our store is no longer doing that.

And hey you think it's bad?

There are three other locations in the Valley- so you might have to drive another 20 minutes to another store. I'm losing my job here.

Not that my boss didn't offer me a job at the Green Valley/Anthem Store. but without transportation it's difficult, and they already have a full staff and Three people with Full-Time. So it would be pretty useless.

On Friday my boss posted a sign saying that we are closing. Lots of people walked right by it- and anyone who did mention it, they were nice about it.


On Sat. the rudest people came in, and when they asked about it and talked about it- it was like they were blaming ME for the store closing.

There was this one customer who came in, in a huff. she saw the sign then she goes up to Sariah and asks for Black Economy Scriptures (those are the most popular when Seminary is starting) Sariah tells her we sold out- she asks that if she brought a set in would we imprint them for her. Sariah tells her no, that John doesn't allow that anymore (it's actually a corporate thing). exasperated the lady exclaims "Well no wonder you guys are closing!" She walks out angrily- still in a huff and yells "Great now my kid won't have his name on his scriptures!”


Customers like that make me want to beat them with a rubber duck.


Though admittedly she was angry when she walked in- it seemed like she had a rough day- and she wanted to take it out on everyone else.

So that night- I was in a funk. I finally started crying about my store. It was just a few tears but it felt good to get them out. With the Sahara and Centennial poaching on stuff in our store and john taking half the store to Green Valley, and the customers having the nerve to blame ME for the store closing- It finally felt real, and it is happening.

I met Alexa in my store- we've had SO many good times- and she left the store in my hands when she went to BYU. It's been a part of my life for 2 years. I've nurtured it and cared for it- and now it's being taken from me.

I'm sorry I failed you Alexa. I did what I could.

Sunday wasn't so bad when I mentioned it to people in my ward- they understand that it's me who suffers. They think of me as a person.

That I am grateful for.

No comments: